Martin wins Gamecocks debut in OT 82-75 | News
By PETE IACOBELLI
AP Sports Writer
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - Brenton Williams scored 12 of his 14 points in overtime as South Carolina overcame a 17-point deficit in the second half to defeat Wisconsin-Milwaukee 82-75 Sunday in Frank Martin's debut as Gamecocks coach.
Most of the way, the Gamecocks (1-0) looked like the last-place Southeastern Conference team that lost 11 of its final 12 and led to Martin's hiring in March. They trailed 40-23 early in the second half. But South Carolina ended the period on a 26-12 run and tied things on two foul shots by freshman Mindaugas Kacinas to force the extra period.
That's when Williams took over. He hit consecutive layups for a 74-68 lead, then kept the Gamecocks out front going 8 for 8 from the foul line.
Jordan Aaron had 28 points to lead the Panthers (1-1).
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations