Spicy times ahead in Carolina-Clemson rivalry | News
By PETE IACOBELLI
AP Sports Writer
CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) - It's the week Clemson and South Carolina fans have waited for all year. And it's never been this big - or this testy.
The 12th-ranked Tigers (10-1) and 13th-ranked Gamecocks (9-2) play Saturday at Death Valley - if South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier remembers where the stadium is.
Spurrier and Clemson coach Dabo Swinney have spent the past year trading straight-on jabs since the Gamecocks won their third straight in the rivalry, 34-13 last seasons.
A few days later, Swinney went on a rant that should live for the ages in rivalry lore. He ripped South Carolina's pedigree, nickname and football history against Clemson, all over a comment attributed to Spurrier on social media the head ball coach never said.
Spurrier's questioned Swinney's smarts and poked fun at Death Valley's location.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations