Overloaded surge protector blamed for fire that displaced 6 USC students | News
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS)- An overloaded surge protector is being blamed on a duplex fire that displaced seven University of South Carolina Students on Monday.
Columbia-Richland firefighters were called to the building in the 1100 block of Olympia Avenue around 8:20 a.m. When crews arrived, there was heavy fire coming from the roof of the structure.
Investigators said all seven people who were inside the duplex were able to get out safely. Six of those affected are USC students.
There are no reported injuries. Officials say the damages are estimated at $200,000.
The Red Cross is assisting those displaced with food, clothing and shelter.
Copyright 2012 WIS. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations