Gamecocks Suffer 6-1 Loss at No. 19 Clemson | News
The No. 30 South Carolina women’s tennis team won the doubles point against No. 19 Clemson on Sunday at Hoke Sloan Tennis Center in Clemson, S.C., but the Tigers managed to take the contest 6-1.
The Gamecocks (3-2) took a 1-0 lead heading to singles play thanks to wins on courts one and two for doubles. At one, No. 46-ranked Dominika Kanakova and Jaklin Alawi recorded an 8-4 triumph over Beatrice Gumulya and Ani Miao. Carolina’s No. 2 duo of Josefin Andersson and Katerina Popova secured the point by downing Romy Koelzer and Liz Jeukeng by an 8-4 score.
With the point in hand, play was stopped at No. 3 doubles with South Carolina’s Adriana Pereira and Ximena Siles Luna leading Tristen Dewar and Carola Pederzani 6-5.
Clemson (2-2) responded with a fury in singles, winning two matches quickly at the Nos. 3 and 4 positions. No. 77 Gumulya won first with a 6-4, 6-0 victory against Kanakova on court three, and No. 69 Koelzer upended Pereira 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4 singles.
The Tigers got their third and match-winning fourth points in three set contests. In both instances, the Gamecocks won the first set but could not hold on in the second and third. No. 32 Yana Koroleva came back to defeat No. 34 Alawi 6-7, 6-2, 6-0 at No. 1 singles, and Jeukeng clinched the win for Clemson with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 over No. 96 Popova on court two.
In the remaining two matches on courts five and six, Dewar claimed the match-up at six over Andersson by winning the first set 6-4 and Andersson withdrew from the match afterward. At five, Miao beat Siles Luna 6-4 in the first set and then cruised to a 6-0 victory in the second.
South Carolina returns to the courts Feb. 16 when it takes on No. 47 VCU in Richmond, Va., followed by No. 53 William & Mary the next day in Williamsburg, Va.
1. #32 Yana Koroleva, CU, def. #34 Jaklin Alawi, USC, 6-7, 6-2, 6-0 2. Liz Jeukeng, CU, def. #96 Katerina Popova, USC, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 3. #77 Beatrice Gumulya, CU, def. Dominika Kanakova, USC, 6-4, 6-0 4. #69 Romy Koelzer, CU, def. Adriana Pereira, USC, 6-2, 6-2 5. Ani Miao, CU, def. Ximena Siles Luna, USC, 6-4, 6-0 6. Tristen Dewar, CU, def. Josefin Andersson, USC, 6-4 ret.
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 1, 2, 6, 5
1. #46 Alawi/Kanakova, USC, def. Gumulya/Miao, CU, 8-4 2. Andersson/Popova, USC, def. Koelzer/Jeukeng, CU, 8-4 3. Pereira/Siles Luna, USC, vs. Dewar/Carola Pederzani, CU, 6-5 susp.
Order of Finish: 1, 2
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations