NeSmith Earns Second Straight SEC Freshman Of The Week Honor | News
South Carolina freshman Matt NeSmith has been named the SEC Men’s Freshman Golfer of the Week for the second straight week, the league office announced Wednesday.
NeSmith earns the honor after leading the Gamecocks to a second-place finish at the Palmetto Intercollegiate. He tied for third at the event with a career-best 54-hole total of 209 (-1), which matches the sixth-best total for a freshman all-time at South Carolina. He opened the tournament with a career-low 68 and posted scores of 69 and 72 in the final two rounds to lead South Carolina to its fourth consecutive top-three finish.
A native of North Augusta, S.C., NeSmith has five top-20 finishes on the season, including a team-best four top-10 finishes. He is tied for the team lead in rounds of par or better with eight and is third on the team in scoring with an average of 73.29, which ranks second in the SEC among freshmen.
South Carolina will have next week off before returning to action on March 24 in the Hootie at Bulls Bay Intercollegiate. The 54-hole event will be held at Bulls Bay Golf Club in Awendaw, S.C.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Columbia Style Week To Be Held June 11th to 15th
- RCSD to host Skills on Wheels Basketball benefit
- South Carolina Drug Cards FREE Through SC African Chamber of Commerce
- Boil water advisory issued for Windsor Village, Waterford at Columbia and Parliament Lake
- City of Columbia to Host Small Business Week Conference