Pa. donors bestow $10 million to aid USC faculty | News
By SUSANNE M. SCHAFER
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - A business executive from Pennsylvania and his wife are creating a $10 million endowment to support young teachers at the University of South Carolina.
Airgas Inc., founder Peter McCausland and his wife, Bonnie, announced their gift Thursday in Columbia.
The businessman is a 1971 South Carolina graduate with a degree in history.
The endowment will be used to retain successful teachers, launch a visiting scholars program and encourage imaginative teaching and research projects.
McCausland says he wants the gift to go to the university's College of Arts and Sciences. He says his teachers were inspiring and passionate about their work, and he wants to support such fervor.
Arts and Sciences Dean Mary Ann Fitzpatrick says the gift will help retain faculty who might be recruited by other schools.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations