3,000 season tickets sold for women's basketball | Sports & Recreation
University of South Carolina women's basketball coach Dawn Staley has plenty to celebrate so far in the infancy of this year's basketball season.
The team has reached 3,000 season tickets for the first time in Staley's career as the Gamecocks' coach, according to a release from the university.
Athletics officials say season ticket sales are 30 percent higher this year than last year. That's because Staley has slowly positioned the Gamecocks to compete in not only the SEC, but for a national championship.
Staley's squad has made two appearances in the NCAA women's tournament over the past two years.
This year, Staley is hoping her team can get at least 5,000 fans to come to each home game. They're calling the plan "Drive for 5", a play on Staley's number when she was a professional basketball player.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations